Top 5 Tips about Verruca Management
Top 5 Tips for Verruca Management: What you need to know
There are many treatments for verrucas such as over the counter medicaments, freezing treatments, application of acids and surgical options. We will discuss how all of these relate to you and your feet.
Verrucas are viral infections of the skin and can be very persistent to treatment. That is because they can hide very successfully from your immune system.
Verruca treatments vary according to age of the patient, their medical history and the history of the verruca. What works for your 5-year old daughter will not always work for your 40-year old sister. We suggest discussing your case with a podiatrist, who will be able to advise you on this.
We have pulled together our top 5 tips about verruca treatments below:
Medipod Clinics: Verruca management
- Over the counter treatments tend to be suitable for young children. They are safe to use and is unlikely that will cause discomfort to your child. Teenagers and adults may not respond at all to any of the over the counter options.
- Boost your immunity with specific diet supplements. Your podiatrist will advise you on what you need to take specifically. A multivitamin is just not good enough as it gives you a little bit of everything, rather than the desired levels of specific vitamins. Alternatively, you can get some probiotics tablets from a health shop with a high content of cultures. A sugary, small bottle of yogurt from the supermarket is not sufficient.
- Freezing treatments may not work if there is hard skin over the verruca or if the freezing agent is not cold enough. Over the counter freezing sprays are at a temperature of -50 degrees Celsius, where as freezing treatments in a clinical setting are around -169 degrees Celsius! Podiatrists are trained to use liquid nitrogen at this temperature to treat your verruca. Your verruca will blister and you will need to return to the clinic for reviews. You will most likely need a course or freezing treatments to clear your verrucas.
- Stress plays a major role on the success of your treatment. Reducing your stress levels will improve the success of your treatment.
- Surgical options such as electrosurgery and needling may work better than freezing methods or acids. Latest research suggests that needling verrucas under local anaesthetic, can lead to complete resolution of your verruca faster than applying an acid over a period of a few weeks.
At Medipod Clinics we are very experienced when it comes to managing verrucas. As well as keeping up to date with the latest research and new treatments, we always try to give you the information and tools you need to keep your feet healthy.
If you are experiencing any discomfort in your feet, we are more than happy to help. Give us a call today on 01455 246100 to chat through your needs.
We also offer treatments for nails, hard skin and advice for people with Diabetes. With our expertise and experience, you will have full peace of mind when it comes to your foot health.
For more information about our range of treatments, please contact us on 01455 246100. We would love to help you with any foot health issues you may have.
Thank you for reading,