Biomechanics and Sports Injuries – Assessing your walking and posture helps relieve pain and discomfort in your feet, legs and lower back. By taking a closer look at the muscles and joints in your feet and legs and the effects these may have on the way you walk, we can offer advice and treatment to reduce your symptoms and help to prevent future symptoms from arising.
A biomechanical assessment takes approximately one hour. Your feet and legs will be thoroughly assessed at toes, ankle, knee,hip, and back level, we will create a personal treatment plan which may include exercises and special insoles for your shoes.
The human foot is a complex structure that is designed to convert the rotations of the leg and arms into efficient forward motion. Normal walking places a great deal of stress upon the foot as it accepts the body weight form above and it attempts to adjust to varying changes in the walking surface. Jogging and running produce even greater stresses (about 3 time your body weight) and, when normal foot function is not present, overuse breakdown in the lower extremity is likely to repeatedly occur.
We currently treat a wide variety of sports-related problems encountered by both amateur and professional athletes. These include, but are not limited to the following; foot / ankle strains or sprains; plantar fasciitis (pain at the bottom of the heel); Achilles tendinitis; knee pain; shin splints; stress fractures; bruised and ingrowing toenails; friction blisters and many more. At Medipod Clinics we understand the special needs of the athlete at all levels of intensity and commitment.
• A full assessment of abnormal foot.
• Function (Biomechanical assessment).
• Analysis of contributing factors.
• Custom made orthoses and fitting.
• Follow up assessment and advice.
• For more information please see our Routine Treatments page.
• Assessment by the podiatrist.
• Treadmill observation of walking and running.
• Full explanation of findings and discussion of a treatment plan.
• Further referral for physiotherapist or other professionals as required.
Biomechanics and Sports Injuries – Please Contact Us for more information